Thursday, February 11, 2010

Creamy coleslaw recipe




I was searching for a coleslaw recipe online that was creamy, tangy and light. I spotted a KFC coleslaw recipe that claims it is a duplicate of the original KFC coleslaw recipe. Skimming through the ingredients, it sounded quiter genuine and I was eager to try it but to my dismay I was unable to find one of the essential ingredients; buttermilk. Its not available in Malaysia even at Cold storage supermarkets but they come in gigantic cartons in Sydney where they are completely wiped out before the week is over. Its main uses are in cakes/pastries, salads, buttermilk fried chicken and you can even drink it although its going to be extremely rich.

I then tried hunting for another recipe and I stumbled upon Chef Bobby Flay's creamy coselaw recipe on Foodnetwork. The ingredients were easy to find and I was quite attracted that it used sour cream and vinegar to balance out the creaminess of the mayonnaise. I also briefly read through the reviews and was astounded that many of them rated the recipe a five out of five stars with postive comments. Some said that 1 tablespoon of mustard was a bit too much but I still used the same amount stated in the recipe as it gave an extra 'kick' to the salad. I used Djon mustard which isn't too strong so maybe that's why I could afford to use 1 tablespoon. Other than that, the salad turned out to be really good and would make a good comparison to KFC coleslaw. It tasted heavenly after 2 hours in the fridge as the veggies had time to soak up the dressing. However, I noticed that I needed to spoon out some of the dressing as cabbage and carrots tend to exude a lot of water so next time I'll probably dry and squeeze out all the water thoroughly first before adding the dressing. It still proved to be one of the creamy yet lighter salads and its definitely a recipe for keeps.

Creamy coleslaw recipe adapted from Bobby Flay of Foodnetwork

Ingredients
1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons celery salt (I just used 2 sticks of freshly chopped celery for crunch)
Salt and freshly ground pepper (I omitted the salt but not the pepper as I found the dressing had enough flavour)

Directions
Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment