Friday, September 30, 2011
Fragrant fried chicken/prawns
I was entranced by this recipe when I first read it. The sweetness from the honey, the tanginess from the lemon/assam juice and the spicy kick from the tom yam paste along with the other fragrant aromatics made this dish seemed so enticing. I was especially intrigued that the recipe incorporated mayonnaise which I guess gave the dish a hint of creaminess. Overall the dish was easy to put together (as I cheated and used store bough tom yam paste)and great for a weeknight meal.
Recipe adapted from Chef Wan
4 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and cut into strips or 1kg prawns cleaned, gutted, peeled. Leave the heads intact.
cooking oil for deep frying and 1 tbsp
2 stalks lemon grass (I used 3)
1 torch ginger bud, finely sliced
10 bird's eye chillies, sliced (I used 8)
1 bulb garlic, cloves separated and chopped (I added this)
10 shallots, chopped (I added this)
3-5 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
2 tbsp tom yam paste/1 packet of Tean's gourmet tom yam paste
4 tbsp water/stock (I used 7 tbsp stock for a bit more gravy)
1 tsp honey (I used 1 tbsp)
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise (I love the dish to be a bit more creamy so I added about 4 tbsp mayo)
1 tbsp lime/assam juice (I added 2 tbsp)
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
pinch of salt
few grinds of pepper
pinch of baking soda (I find it does make the chicken tenderer)
1 medium egg, beaten
3 tbsp corn flour
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (I added this)
1) Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken and set aside for 15 mins or preferably overnight.
2) Heat oil for deep frying. The oil should me medium low. Deep fry chicken in batches until golden brown and crisp, roughly 3 mins. Drain on paper towels.
3) In a clean wok on medium heat, pour in some oil and saute the chopped shallots, garlic, lemon grass, torch ginger bud, kaffir lime leaves, chillies until fragrant about 5-10 mins. Don't burn it!
4) Add the tom yam paste and continue to saute until fragrant about another 10 mins.
5) Add stock/water and simmer sauce. Add in your seasonings and adjust to taste. Toss in the chicken and stir fry on medium heat about 10 mins for the chicken to absorb the flavours.
6) Remove from heat and stir in lime/assam juice and mayonnaise. Taste to adjust seasoning. Garnish with finely sliced kaffir lime leaves, bunga kantan petals and coriander leaves.